Binondo Chinatown in Manila –
Binondo in Manila is the oldest Chinatown in the world. This was established in 1594. Binondo is the center of commerce and trade-in Manila. The main street of Chinatown in Manila is Ongpin. This street lies between Binondo church and Santa Cruz church. Best time to visit china town in Manila while the Chinese new year. That time this place will be full of color and crowded.
Chinatown in Manilla was made by Spanish Governor Luis Pérez Dasmariñas for Chinese immigrants. Only those Chinese are allowed to stay here who want to convert into Catholicism. So Binondo was the first place where Chinese people lived in Manilla. These Chinese were also allowed to marry Pilipino.
The northern bank of the Pasig River
How to reach here –
By Taxi – You can easily reach here by Taxi.
Where to park in Binondo?
Park at Lucky Chinatown Mall which will cost you around 150 pesos.
LRT – Get a ride till Carriedo station. And then left side go to Sta Cruz Church.
Water bus – Ride in Pasig River Ferry till Escolta.
What to do in Binondo Chinatown –
1. Buy some items –
You can buy here sweat meat like Hopia, and shark fin cartilage, deer horn, dried snake, bird’s nest and even animal testicles.
2. Have some delicious Chinese food (Dumplings, Chinese pancake, kiampong, and pork barbeque )and many more. You can also find Delicious sticky rice, noodles, Jack fruit, cuccia
Kiampong – it’s fried rice with mushrooms and soy sauce.
3. Buy some herbal medicine.
4. Ride in kalesa ( A horse-drawn Buggy)
5. Visit Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz. This place is the center of Chinatown in Manilla and just front Binondo church. There is a beautiful park here.
6. Visit Escolta street or wall street of the Philippines. This street is run from Santa Cruz plaza to Plaza Moraga. This is one of the oldest streets in the Philippines and established in 1594. Here you can see many old buildings, the Museum and Theater.
7. Buy some household items like Chinese lanterns.
8. Visit Binondo church. The architect of this church is really amazing.
9. See beautiful Tsinoys museum. It’s a Chinese museum.
10. Have some shopping in Lucky Chinatown
List of some of the best restaurants in Chinatown in Manilla-
1. Quick Snack
2. Dong Bei Dumplings
3. Ying Ying Tea House
4. King Chef Seafood Restaurant
5. Ramen Kuroda
6. Chuan Kee Chinese Fast Food
Places to visit near Chinatown in Manilla –
1. Binondo Church – This is one of the oldest church in the Philippines. And its also known as Minor Basilica of Saint Lorenzo Ruiz. 0.1 KM.
Below all distance are in Kilometers.
2. Lucky Chinatown Mall – 0.3
3. 168 Shopping Mall – 0.4
4. Divisoria Market – Famous for its cheap products but beware of pickpockets – 0.5
5. Mall 999 – 0.4
6. Manila Cathedral – 1
7. Santa Cruz Church – 0.7
8. San Agustin Church – 1.3
9. Intramuros – 1.1
Fort Santiago – 0.7
OTHERS PHILIPPINES POST –